SHIVAREE &

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shivaree's LYRICS
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:36 am 
Site Admin

I want to open this topic to discuss lyrics. It isn't too difficult to find Shivaree lyrics so it's not to post them but to discuss them. Here we can ask question about the meaning or origin of songs etc. If one of us has a question about their lyrics just post and we'll figure it out together :ugeek: :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Goodnight Moon
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:50 am 

GOODNIGHT MOON.

There's a nail in the door
And there's glass on the lawn
Tacks on the floor
And the TV is on
And I always sleep with my guns
When you're gone

There's a blade by the bed
And a phone in my hand
A dog on the floor
And some cash on the nightstand
When I'm all alone the dreaming stops
And I just can't stand

What should I do I'm just a little baby
What if the lights go out and maybe
And then the wind just starts to moan
Outside the door he followed me home

Well goodnight moon
I want the sun
If it's not here soon
I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say
Goodnight moon

There's a shark in the pool
And a witch in the tree
A crazy old neighbour and he's been watching me
And there's footsteps loud and strong coming down the hall
Something's under the bed
Now it's out in the hedge
There's a big black crow sitting on my window ledge
And I hear something scratching through the wall

Oh what should I do I'm just a little baby
I just hate to be all alone
Now goodnight moon
I want the sun
If it's not here soon
I might be done
Goodnight moon

Well you're up so high
How can you save me
When the dark comes here
Tonight to take me up
To my front walk
And into bed where it kisses my face
And eats my head

Oh what should I do I'm just a little baby
And then the wind just starts to moan
Now goodnight moon
I want the sun
If it's not here soon
I might be done
Goodnight moon
Goodnight moon

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Shivaree's LYRICS
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:21 am 
Site Admin

Goodnight moon is a very simple but beautiful song. it's about paranoia of being alone and in the dark. everything she is talking about seems to be imaginary and exaggerated. If you want i can go into more detail.

Here is I explain the lyrics to the song John 2 14. It's quite a bit to read but i'm trying to be detailed. :oops:

John 2/14
It's so romantic
The neighborhood's littered with white gloves * the word "littered" means that there are things scattered like trash but here its is NOT used literally. it just means that everybody in town is wearing white gloves.
The flowers were hand picked
They're taping up paper doves *these last two lines are just describing typical decorations for this holiday

And it's hard to think
When everything's red and pink *most decorations are usually red,pink and sometimes white
It's hard to eat
When everything's sweet *this one is both literal (often people give out sweet treats to others) and metaphorical (sweet like love---sometimes when you're in love you can't eat because all you think about is that person)

I guess it's just the perfect time to send some roses *people normally send flowers to his/her love to be romantic
And touch their noses*the word "touch" is not literal here. it means that the smell of the roses will make their noses smell romance and other good feelings. like a song that "touches" your heart. again, its NOT meant literally.
And buy them things *buying your love a gift
Because it's such a tender time for all the ladies *the perfect time/event
With all those babies
Wearing their wings* "babies with wings" means Cupid (the angel of love). it is thought that Cupid can shoot an arrow and make someone fall in love with you if you ask him to.

Could you be mine
And hot-stuff and maybe and foxy and fine ?
Swallow your red-hots*these last 3 lines are describing candy that is very typical on Valentines Day. they are small heart-shaped candy with messages on them such as "be mine", "red-hot", "foxy", "fine", "hot stuff" etc.
check out a picture of these candies at google images by typing "vantines candy"

And order the fancy wine *wine is just a romantic drink so people will try to surprise his/her love with some wine to celebrate

And if you please
Just bring me some honey I'll send for the bees *this is just telling him that she is willing to do something for him as well.
You throw your rice *rice is usually used at weddings. when the bride and the groom come out of the church, people throw rice at them. i don't know the symbolism behind it but its tradition.
It feeds the mice *this has to do with the rice tradition but i DO NOT know the meaning behind it. sorry :(

CHORUS

You've gotta run
They hate it when you're too quiet *this is telling "john" that he needs to be talkative and charming because girls don't like a quiet guy.
And it's always fun
To close up until they buy it *this one is ONLY MY OPINION... I think it's talking about sex. it is thought that if you have sex with someone too soon, they won't want to further the relationship. there fore it's saying not to have sex with someone until they "buy it" which means marriage. if you buy something you're keeping it forever. it's a metaphor used in the USA.

CHORUS

Well.... There you go. to summarize it.In case anyone cares :mrgreen: its a song about Valentines Day and nothing more:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:27 am 
Site Admin

Hey Laurent, I have a question for you and i hope you can help me out.

in the song "i close my eyes" she speaks French

"Voulez-vous savoir the love below".... from what i looked up it translates to "do you want to know the love below". is that right? I'm not sure what she means by that. is there more to it than what the translation gives me?

In the song "mexican boyfriend" she sings in Spanish at minute 2:12 - 2:27

"Yo me besaba la mano imaginando que eras tu"... which translates to "i would kiss my (own) hand imagining it was you"

I solved that one because my first language is Spanish, but i don't speak French so i hope can clear up if the translation is correct.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:04 pm 

Hi Fransisco !

Yes it's correct !! "Voulez vous savoir" is "do you want to know"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:02 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Laurent. i wonder what she means by that line. it seems incomplete or something.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:18 am 
Site Admin

I was unable to find lyrics online for Ambrosia's song "Girls: must be single and very pretty". I love that song. From what i get from it, it seems its about getting a job as a stripper. I wrote the lyrics (by ear) but there are a couple of line that i don't understand what she is saying. Here is what i got:

Lets go and celebrate
I’m gonna get it
This thing could elevate my world
They say its lovely over there
The velvet curtain call
I’m just a side affair
So lucky that I’m tall

I feel like pink champagne
I’m getting on that 7:30 train

You underestimate my graceful extension.
Can’t you just appreciate my lofty intensions
Or the pretty clothes I wear
The ballerina doll??? :?:
A very oldest prayer??? The very oldest pray??? :?:
Again I call??? (when) I get in my coat/car???? :?:

If only we had pink champagne

Could be in Tel Aviv or maybe Rome
Have of all that I receive you know I’ll send it straight back home

And we’ll have pink champagne

Can someone please, clear those three lines for me? I really want to know what it says but she runs her words together so much its hard to tell.

Thanks for any help

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:31 am 

"I Don't Care" (My favorite song...)

I don't care you can do most anything
I am on a string and you can lead me anywhere
I'll go there willingly
Some may say I'm for you to use and throw away
Yeah that's what they say
But they'll say most anything
To keep you away from me

How much love loveable me
How much more can you take from me
You'll never go to sleep
I'll swallow all your time
Doesn't matter what you say
'Cause you are mine mine mine

Seasons change
They march through they leave wounds behind
Years are so unkind but
They could never rearrange
They can't change what I see

How much love loveable me
How much more can you take from me
You'll never go to sleep I'll swallow all your time
Doesn't matter what you say
'Cause you are mine mine mine

Seasons change
They march through they leave wounds behind
Years are so unkind but they could never rearrange
They can't change what I see
What I see
Anything anything
I'll tell you what I'll do
Anything anything
All for you

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:02 am 

I think Goodnight Moon is a beautifully honest song about the thoughts a girl would have in her head while scared or alone, their imagination running away with them as every noise becomes something sinister. I think I've listened to pretty much everyting I can get my hands of since I registered here before Christmas, I'm a bit obsessive when I find something I like I like to find out as much as I can about it in one go. I now have a huge list of favourites, I tend to prefer the ones Ambrosia wrote, though there were a few from the covers album I enjoyed. There's something really honest and feminine about her lyrics. I mean that there's some ways only a man or woman would ever say something its often quite distinctive.

By no means my favourite, just one of them I wanted to post was this one:

Thundercats.

I can smell the change thats on your hands
Packin' up your philips head and honey bear
Brandy danced for you and all your friends
Last night you think you might have left your money there

Good mornin' now your keys are gone
And the Thundercats are on
The paper's here, it says its over, kiss your mom
You can't hit a nail straight when you're laughin'

Crystal was an unsuccessful blonde
Hasn't been to bed now for a week or two
Organising closets until dawn
It's lovely how shes always finding things to do

Now Scotty's knife is in your hand
And your contact's in the sand
You're hallucinating in the heat

Ninety-seven stitches and a cast
Sixty absent days but what you gonna do
Thought you said those breaks of yours would last
Now go before somebody drops a house on you

Jordan got so mad he said
He threw his hammer at your head
Sent you home and said, he's pick you up at five

Keep on playin' maybe it'll happen dear
I can't believe the doctor said, he'd leave those BB's in your head
But I think he said, he thought you shouldn't drive
So call us if you make it there alive

I could be completely wrong and the lyrics don't mean anything but to me they come across as several stories of things that happened to her. I'm not 100% sure if she has a brother but I think I read or heard somewhere she did and that they like to watch cartoons together, maybe Thundercats. The first part sounds like her brother went to a strip club got drunk and lost his money/keys. Crystal sounds like a girlfrind of her brothers that Ambrosia didn't like so much. There's also a whole set of references to building work. I'm not sure about Scotty's knife maybe the line was supposed to be life (many lyrics sites have slight variations), as another part sounds like there was a car accident... but like I say I could just be getting all that from nowhere and its about nothing of the sort hehe. It's got this great grungey American sound to it too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

donyo, i love that you posted this song and you gave you incite. to be honest, I've been wanting to review this song for a while but i wasn't brave enough to do so. Thunder cats is definitely one of the most "complicated" songs of Shivaree.

I had never even though of the possibility of the lyrics being about her brother. and you're right, in many interviews she talks about watching cartoons with her TWIN bother when she comes home.

The way I've always interpreted the song was just a series of life scenarios in "someone's" complicated life. BUT... its complicated because He has made it this way for himself and now has to deal with the consequences. Here, i'll explain: since the singer's boyfriend doesn't have a name I'll call him JOHN.

I can smell the change thats on your hands
Packin' up your philips head and honey bear
Brandy danced for you and all your friends
Last night you think you might have left your money there

**John pretends to go to work (maybe construction since a "philips head" is a type of screw driver) but John really hangs with his friends and whores and the singer is becoming aware that something is not right. something has changed. Also, the "change that's on your hands" might be literal and it could be change to pay the stripper Brandy***

Good mornin' now your keys are gone
And the Thundercats are on
The paper's here, it says its over, kiss your mom

***she takes the keys and leave. the thundercats is just a reference to tell him that he is a child and immature and a "mommy's boy" since she tells him to kiss his mom. the "paper" that says it's over is the DIVORCE request. "you can't hit a nail straight when you're laughing" is telling him that she is aware he was out having a good time and not actually hitting nails (AT HIS JOB)***

**The following gets really chaotic but it's what I've always thought happened***

Crystal was an unsuccessful blonde
Hasn't been to bed now for a week or two
Organizing closets until dawn
It's lovely how shes always finding things to do

***Crystal is the blond that John was sleeping with. Crystal is actually a really big whore. She hasn't been to bed because she has been "organizing closets"/ sleeping around not in her room. "it's lovely how she always finding things to do" is saying how she always finds another affair. But Crystal has a boyfriend... Scotty***

Now Scotty's knife is in your hand
And your contact's in the sand
You're hallucinating in the heat

***Scotty catches Crystal and John in the act and stabs John in the hand. "scotty's knife is in your hand" the knife is IN but not holding it it. "you're hallucinating in the heat." John can't handle the situation it's surreal to him.***

Ninety-seven stitches and a cast
Sixty absent days but what you gonna do
Thought you said those breaks of yours would last
Now go before somebody drops a house on you

***Scotty really did a number on him and left him beaten enough (including removing his brakes on his car) so consequently John can't actually go to work like he was supposed to in the first place***

Jordan got so mad he said
He threw his hammer at your head
Sent you home and said, he'd pick you up at five

***Jordan is possibly John's male lover. Jordan sent him home to later be picked up possibly to hurt him (but John doesn't know this).***

Keep on playin' maybe it'll happen dear
I can't believe the doctor said, he'd leave those BB's in your head
But I think he said, he thought you shouldn't drive
So call us if you make it there alive

***Here the singer is basically mocking John and making fun of his consequences. She most likely has something to do with everything bad happened to John after she left. She took the time to tell Scotty about Crystal and him, resulting in John's sever beating. She also told Jordan about John's other affairs and that's why Jordan sent him home but would later pick him up (possibly to hurt him or maybe kill him). The singer might have undone John's car brakes her self. That is why she say's "so call US if you make it there alive". The "US" is there because everyone is out to get him, not just her. Most likely John will suffer a car accident since the singer sounds so "aware" that the brakes won't work.***

Anyway, that's what i took from this song. It's a really fun song for me thinking of the situation i described above. But i might also be wwwwaaaaayyyy wrong about this.

It won't be to strange for Shivaree to write something like that. think of "Daring lousy guy", "i close my eyes" and many others. Especially "After the prince and the show girl" which I'm certain talks about the singer sending and assassin to kill a woman.

Profile E-mail